Subject: [Leica] how wide in Antelope Canyon
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:19:40 -0700

Alastair, there are two Antelope Canyon access point, north and south. The
north access involves some nimble foot work on ladders; the south access
does not. I prefer B&W because the exposure times are very long (reciprocity
failure) and 99% of the color shots I have seen are rendered inaccurately. I
suggest a 21mm or 24mm. Midday is best otherwise the canyon is too dark.
During the spring monsoon season there is a real danger of flash floods and
some years ago ten people died in Antelope Canyon.
At Canyon de Chelly, photographing from the valley floor is OK with a view
camera (to avoid converging verticals). I photographed the White House ruin
from an outcropping across the valley, reached by a trail, with a short
telephoto lens so as to include the dramatic wall in which the ruin sits.
Feel free to ask for more detail off LUG.
Oliver Bryk