Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:25:31 -0400

Define "success."

I recently edited a portfolio from my past two years work. I started
with just under 900 rolls of film, about 32,000 pictures and ended with
41 pictures. However, I generally figure my "hit rate" to be about one
shot every three rolls or about 1%. But one has to consider the editing
process. I edited my 32 thousand pictures as I went along so that when
I sat down to do the first cut I was only working with about 3 thousand
frames. Then from those I selected about 300 that I scanned and made
into work prints. From those I was able to (with my editor's help) pick
41 that worked together as a portfolio.

But the most interesting thing is that when I'm making that first rough
cut - the 1% - some of the shots are isolated one-off pictures of
fleeting subjects, but many of them are one frame out of 5 or one frame
out of 25 or more of the same scene that I had the time or opportunity
to work over in many different ways. And there are static subjects that
I have to return to over days, weeks, or even years, before I feel that
I nailed it just right. I wouldn't work a scene over and over if I
didn't know that I already had one pretty good picture. Getting back to
those one-off, opportunistic photographs, I believe that experience
gives me the advantage, weighs the odds in favor of my success, and the
cost of experience is film. I don't think it's possible to waste film,
or if it is possible it must take great effort!

Gilbert