Subject: RE: RE: [Leica] Uncertainty Principle
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 00:07:28 -0600

> Well, that's not what our National Park says. They call it alpine tundra,
> and so that's what I call it, too. Here is a quote from the National Park
> Service Web site about what you'll find there:

It's actually the Arctic-Alpine Life Zone which allows some tundra species
to grow. You'll find descriptions of it peppered with phrases like "The
arctic-alpine lifezone of high elevations experiences a different
climate--in terms of day length and seasons--than does the true tundra of
the Arctic" etc. It's basically an alpine "tundra like" zone. But basically
only in terms of it flora. Actual Tundra is much more than just its flora
(for example, permafrost). Tundra is a biome and the Arctic-Alpine Life Zone
is basically a sub-set of Tundra and as such the term tundra is often
applied to it.

tim