Subject: Re: [Leica] Incident vs. Reflective Metering
From: "langhans" <langhans@compwrx.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:21:53 -0700

Great description, Dave.  I have one question.  What about in strong
backlight.  Do you still follow the incident meter reading or do you have to
make some compensation?  I am thinking of getting a fairly good incident
meter.  I like to take a lot of backlit subjects and don't necessaraly want
the subject to be correctly exposed.  I usually meter on the bright sky
somewhere just out of view of the sun and use this exposure.

Aram

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:50:07 +0000
> From: "Dave Olson" <ckrosebud@hotmail.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Incident vs. Reflective Metering
> Just read with interest the comments on relfective versus incident light
> reading/metering. Having been a long time believer in hand held meters I
> just would like to throw my experiences into the pot.
> For starters, if you have never tried or are skeptical of the value of
> incident  vs reflective, try this. Beg or borrow a decent *calibrated*
hand
> held meter. Arm your self with your camera with its built-in reflective
> meter. Go out and photograph a number of different color and substance
> items; dark wood, shiny metal, you get the idea. Expose two shots, one
with
> the in camera meter and then the incident meter, pointed toward the camera
> in the same spot as the subject. Now the beauty of incident metering is
you
> don't have to be in the exact same spot. Just a location that has the same
> amount of light falling on the location as the subject. Experiment number
2;
> take a reading from both the subject's location and a separate location.
> This would be done assuming you could not get close to the intended
subject.
> Compare the readings. They will be the same. To address the issue of the
> black cat and the white on white dress or the sands at White Sands
National
> Monument. An incident meter reading will give an accurate exposure,
leaving
> the cat black and the dress white and White Sands (not really sand) a
> rendition of what you saw. Would you bracket? Maybe. Remember the basic
rule
> of all built-in reflective meters, they're calibrated to 18% greyscale,
like
> a greyscale card. Black will be grey, snow will be grey, a white dress
will
> be grey. The main thing is experiment and see for yourself the difference
in
> reading variations, shooting the same subject. I have 3 hand helds, and
use
> them no matter what system I'm shooting that day; EOS, 3s, EOS 1N RS,
Nikon