Subject: Re: [Leica] metereless
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:25:10 -0400

Rei,
Whether I use a meter depends.  If I am on familiar ground I tend not to use
a meter.  It seems regions of the world are lit differently both indoors and
outdoors.  Different outdoors means that open shade differs according to the
dominant colors of human habitation.  The Caribbean seems to only need 1/2
to 1 stop more exposure in the shade whereas in Atlanta it seems to be 2-3
stops.  I guess it's the difference between pastel color and brown/red
brick.  Different indoors seems to be more country dependant than region: in
the US commercial structures can be depended on for 1/60 at around 3.5 for
an ISO of 400 assuming no exterior light source.

While in NYC I used an old Leicameter partly because I wanted to see if it
was still accurate and partly because the last few times in NY I had used an
M6 and didn't pay much attention to exposure.  Next time I'm back I probably
won't bring the meter as NY seems to run on Atlanta light or vice/versa.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com