Subject: Re: [Leica] Uncertainty Principle
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:52:58 -0700 (PDT)

Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Doug
>
> Please understand this.  What we are observing are your photos,
> not the subject directly.
>
> NOW, tell me how the Principle applies?  Essay limited to 1000
> words with a 2 hour time limit :-)

I doubt I could write 1,000 words if I had all day :-)

When most LUGgers look at one of my photos, what they see is the light emitted by the phosphors on the computer screen.  Synapses in the visual cortex interpret the signals from the retina; since the signals are transmitted along nerves via electrical impulses, there are minute magnetic fields created, which vary depending on the image perceived among other things.  If these magnetic fields were strong enough they would alter the path of the electrons in the computer's CRT so that the act of looking at the picture would change the image itself.  However since the synaptic magnetic fields are several orders of magnitude smaller than those in the CRT there is a very high probability that most LUGgers see essentially the same thing when they see my pictures.

I say 'most', not 'all' 'cuz there are a number of list members who have realized that I'm selling my prints way too cheap and have already purchased one or more before I wise up and charge enough to replenish my supply of K64.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com