Subject: [Leica] Metereless in Massachusetts
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:26:25 -0400

I started out with meter-less cameras, a Miranda D and an M3.  After
thirty or forty years of taking pictures using two or three different
ASA films, one can get pretty good at estimating the exposure of just
about any situation within a stop or two.  Generally, if I am within a
couple of stops, I can produce a fine print in the darkroom.  Basically,
after lots and lots of experience, one's brain begins to function like a
meter and one sets the proper exposure without giving it any purposeful
thought.  Using a film with wide latitude such as HP5, XP, Tri-X or
Plus-X, I can guess well enough to almost always get a good exposure.
Even after forty years, though, I still prefer to meter when shooting
chromes.

	Buzz Hausner