Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 "Classic" vs M6 TTL
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:00:16 -0500

Jason

Welcome to the LUG Group.  My personal opinion is to get the M6TTL because
it has the larger and correct progression shutter dial.  It also has the
newer more sensitive meter, although the latter M6'Classics' do also.  Some
think the TTL is not as good looking as it is approx. 2 mm higher, but
darned if I can see any difference and would not care anyway as they look
and work the same (except for the shutter dial).  I bought mine just before
the end of the production a few months ago at Calumet for $1990, but you
can find them for less from some of the dealers on ebay.  Used you are
looking at any where from $1400 up to $1999.  As for the lens get the
50/2.0 Summicron, either the current model with the built in hood or the
previous version which uses a snap on hood.  If you are going to shoot alot
of low light stuff then the 50/1.4 Summilux is the preferred choice or the
50/1.0 if you have the bucks, which I believe you don't.  I love the
Summicron it is an excellent optic and deserves its reputation.  Hope to
see some images soon.

Gene

                      Jason Dean
                      <dean5581@hsutx.edu>                To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  [Leica] M6 "Classic" vs M6 TTL
                      -alto.ca.us

                      04/16/2003 11:31 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Hello LUG,

I'm new to this whole Email discussion thing, but I am interested in
Leica's, so I think this is the right place to be.

I am looking at buying an M6, and I wanted you all's expert opinions
about which is the better buy - a "Classic" model or a TTL model. Also,
what are some good sources for these cameras (besides eBay) and what
can I expect to pay?

How about a good 50mm lens? I don't need the best one out there, I need
to keep it semi-affordable, because I'm in college.

Hmm, I think that's about it.

Thanks!

Jason