Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - film resolving power
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:58:44 -0400

> Since there were so few posts regarding the use of truly high resolution
> film and developers, and a great deal of discussion of inkjet printers
> rather than point light source enlargers and fine enlarging lenses, it
just
> occurred to me "digital" was becoming the wave of the future.
>
> Don R.
> Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - film resolving power
> > > However, since so many are moving to digital cameras and printers is
there any reason to pursue the super high resolution film stock?

> > As far as I know, aren't most people here using film cameras?  I still
> > believe film is a lot more prolific than people realize.  Because
> > professionals (PJs mostly) are moving to digital, that only makes up a
> very
> > very small percentage of film use.  I believe most amateur photography
is
> > film, and amateurs make up a huge percentage of cameras "use".
> >
> > Austin

There is a real danger with getting caught up in a herd mentality that
always promotes the new at the expense of the old.  There are a number of
"hybrids" like me---film shooters who scan the negs.  I still do not like
the all digital results that I see in any manageable price range for a
non-pro.  There is a flatness and an edge softness in digital that is very
unappealing to me.  There are also issues with frame size and lens
magnification ratios.  Sure maybe Canon's new professional digicam is ok,
but I would rather a have my M7 and M2---and save the cost difference and
put it into more Leica glass.  Or into buying more film. :)  Since I shoot a
lot of wide angle and same day (or same hour!) rapid turnaround time is not
an issue with me, I have no use at all for a digital camera that does not
perform to my needs and furthermore will be obsolete in two years.  To wit:
I just sent my M2 to DAG for an overhaul which should carry me into the next
decade.

Gary

Message from "Don R." <don.ro@verizon.net> (Re: [Leica] OT - film resolving power)