Subject: RE: [Leica] OT - film resolving power
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:08:02 -0400

Don,

> and a great deal of discussion of inkjet printers
> rather than point light source enlargers

I don't understand what point light source enlargers have to do with
anything?

> and fine enlarging
> lenses...

Scanning film does not negate using fine lenses.  My scanner has a very high
end APO Rodigon in fact.  It has a very nice diffuse light source as well.

> it just
> occurred to me "digital" was becoming the wave of the future.

I pretty much do scan all my film, and make inkjet prints.  That in fact
means I have to use high resolution films, and fine developing techniques,
or my scanner outruns my film.  I scan 35mm at 5080.

Printing and scanning still require careful film choices and more so very
careful development.

But the fundamental issue that you can't get over 40lp/mm from 35mm without
using a tripod still exists.  I'd guess very careful technique may get you
to more...but still, not in the realm these films are capable of.

Austin