Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ideal bag for M6 & 35mm ASPH
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:37:06 -0400

- --On Sunday, April 13, 2003 12:09 PM -0600 Kit McChesney | acmefoto
<kitmc@acmefoto.com> wrote:

> Hello All--
>
> I've watched the bag discussion with great interest of late, and have
> seen a few favored brands rise to the top. Domke, Hadley, a few for
> Crumpler and Lowe, and Seth's Classic M series, and Jerry's Genuine Used
> and Stonewashed Diaper Bags seem to be among the favorites. My question
> is, where does Tamrac fit in all of this? Do folks use Tamrac? Do you
> like them? Any opinions? (Yes, I am doing some informal marketing
> research, if you must know!)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kit

Kit,

I think that the bags that Tamrac is best know for are the "boxy" style.
Recently, they seem to offer so many models that the company is clearly
trying to make something for every taste. But I think if you say "Tamrac"
to most photographers, they will think of the structured, boxy type bag --
of which Tamrac still seems to offer many different models.

Personally, I like a flatter, unstructured bag like the Domke 803 or Seth's
Classic M bag. Or even a messenger bag like Crumpler or Timbuk2 offer. If
you like the structured, padded type I think there are better ones than the
Tamracs -- the Billingham small Hadley for example. The Domke F3x in black
ballistic or canvas is also a nice bag that falls somewhere between the two
types.

Finally, the material that Tamrac uses seems pretty "plasticy" to me. I
much prefer plain canvas or some sort of twill of the kind the Billingham
or M Classics use. If you don't like canvas, the ballistic material that
Domke uses is waterproof without that plastic feel.

As always, with bags, YMMV ;-).

Rolfe
- --
Rolfe Tessem