Subject: [Leica] Ingenius DIY
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:06:01 -0700 (PDT)

While I was in Shanghai a few months ago, I met a few
local LUGs. One fellow in his 60s wearing a pair of
very thick spectacles caught my eye while he was using
a 28mm on an M6 .72. I was curious because I too wear
glasses and have a PITA problem of eye-relief even
with the 35mm Cron. I asked him how in the world can
he get used to such a combination. He let me look thru
his M6 and I was caught in total awe, astonished by
the eye-relief where not only could I see the entire
frame with glasses on, but I can actually see the
entire view without having to roll my eyeballs all
over the place. Upon closer examination, he had a
eyepiece, similar to the 1.25x without the protrusion.
He told me, he grounded the lens with 2 concave
elements and since he owns an eyeglass shop, he did it
himself. He told me, this lens will not cover any
angle wider than the primary .72, but it will shrink
the view, giving a higher eye relief if one wears
glasses on top of trying to use the wider-angle lens.
Amazing with all the resources from Leica, you would
have thought they would come up with such an
accessory...hmmmm, perhaps they did with the +1.25x
magnifier, but not the de-magnifier which would be
detrimental to the sales of their .58 Ms. Anyway, my
hats off to this ingenius Leica innovator and is
keeping close contact with him to see if there is a
possbility of marketing this little lens.