Subject: RE: [Leica] 560 telyt day
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:59:19 -0700

At 2:23 PM -0700 4/11/03, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Yes, but as one that does not yet have the lens, I am trying to make the buy
>decision....  and it is not easy with a lens this unique in its focusing
>technique.....  I have no question about the quality of the glass, but if
>you can't focus it correctly, you might as well use a coke bottle bottom as
>one of the elements!
>
>You would think that after 40 years of taking pictures, this kind of
>question would not have to be asked......  but I really am having trouble
>figuring this 400/560 thing out......  I think I will go borrow one from my
>buddy and try it out.... the 400/5.6 / Televit on a tripod, if I understand
>all the inputs correctly.... is the best configuration for this lens.
>
>Thanks all, and especially Doug for being so patient......and thoughtful in
>your responses.....
>
>Frank Filippone

 From my experiences, using the 400/5.6 some and the 400/6.8 a lot
over a number of years, the 6.8 handles a lot better. It will work on
a tripod, but not quite as easily as the 5.6, whereas the 5.6 does
not work that well compared with the 6.8 handheld. The 6.8 is
outstanding handheld; in a class of its own.

As far as focussing is concerned, I have a number of shots of birds
in flight at close to the minimum focussing distance; something a
400AF lens has a lot more trouble with. Focussing is supremely fast
and accurate after only a little bit of practice. I shot a lot on K64
with this lens, and never hesitated to use 1/125s. Higher speeds are
definitely better, but 1/125s will produce a lot of useable shots.

Unless you are sure that the lens will be used 80 - 90% on a tripod,
get the 6.8.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design