Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm ASPH revisted.
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:37:16 -0700

At 2:39 PM -0700 4/8/03, Henry Ting wrote:
>You want the 4th generation of the pre-ASPH. They
>don't have any of the ailments of the ASPH version
>such as lop-sided hood, loose aperture ring, binding
>focus etc.

Eh???.....

What ARE you talking about?

I've had a number of 35/2's over the years, and they occasionally had
defects. My current v4 pre-ASPH had a crooked hood when I bought it,
but it's fixed. I've certainly seen/had lenses that weren't
completely smooth focussing, and some had significantly looser
aperture rings than others. I haven't had a 35/2ASPH, but I've seen a
couple and they didn't have any of the defects you've noted.

One of the reasons earlier lenses often didn't have the lop-sided
hood syndrome is that they had round hoods, or hoods that could be
rotated into position.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design