Subject: [Leica] Non-Leica photos: Rethinking digital
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:01:47 -0700 (PDT)

For years I've been interested in the fine-art
potential of digital cameras, and now that I've got an
ancient Kodak/Nikon DCS200 DSLR offering full manual
control of focus and exposure, things have gotten a
bit more interesting! Here are a couple of photos:

http://www.boulder.net/~4season/20030403.html

Since the color rendition of this DCS200 is IMO pretty
ugly, I'm treating it as a black-and-white camera, and
I'm using conventional (optical) filtration to get the
desired results. My goal is maximize in-camera results
and make only relatively minor adjustments afterwards.
So far I haven't found a way to duplicate N- and N+
contrast control, and these early digital cameras
surely could've benefitted from N- "processing" at
times: Contrastier than transparency film, with no
tolerance to overexposure.

FWIW, using the DCS200 (a stock Nikon 8008s with
digital back) has convinced me that grafting a digital
back onto a film camera is kludgey: Far better, I
think, to design it as a digital camera from the
outset and avoid the hassles of having separate
batteries for camera body and digital back, or wasting
space on a film transport that's never going to
transport any film. Having a sub-sub-24x36mm imager is
also a pain because the "normal" lenses end up being
closer to 20mm, so unless you decend to
gaussian-blurring Photoshop whoredom, shallow depth of
field becomes an endangered species.

Jeff S