Subject: [Leica] Reciprocal shutter speed rule
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 14:19:14 -0400

I know it's shorthand (and I usually set the highest speed I can get),
but...

Does this rule even work about the synch speed of the camera when you
use an FP shutter?

When you use an FP shutter with speeds higher than the synch speed, the
shutter is always traveling at the synch speed (the slit narrows but
the curtains go at the same rate).

So if you use, say a 500mm lens, and it is bouncing around as you hold
it, isn't the shutter recording little distortions a slice at a time,
even if it is at 1/500?  On an SLR with a 1/125 synch and lenses under
135mm, I have never noticed any additional benefit to using speeds
higher than 1/125.

Or is it that this rule only applies at high speeds to leaf shutters.

Since most leaf shutters are on MF cameras, then does the magnification
of the lens come into play?

Example: 40mm lens on an SLR - pick 1/60 sec.
		100mm lens on a 6x9 rangefinder - should it be 1/60 (based on
magnification) or 1/125 (based on lens length)?!  I generally pick
1/125 if I can.