Subject: Re: [Leica] Developers for Scanning Negs......was Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:16:00 -0800

Christopher Williams wrote:

> As  a long time XP2 user, I have switched to Portra 400 B&W for
> scanning
> because it gives you a more neutral tone without the color cast with
> XP2.

For me, scanning is, and probably always will be, a secondary means of
producing images.  Although I currently do significantly more scanning
than printing, I want to retain the option of printing all my negatives
in the future -- for when I have a proper darkroom.  It's not that I
necessarily consider silver prints better thank inkjet prints -- I just
like the aesthetics of silver prints more.

The Kodak C-41 B&W films which incorporate the orange backing layer,
make it easy to obtain prints in a commercial minilab on colour paper,
at the expense of printing in the home darkroom on variable contrast
paper.  While Portra 400 B&W certainly does produce stunning looking
4x6" prints from the minilab, my chief photographic interest doesn't
lie in stunning looking 4x6" prints from the minilab.

M.

Replies: Reply from "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Developers for Scanning Negs......was Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement))