Subject: RE: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:04:48 -0500

Art -

This is a better explanation of the difference in the two photos:

  The difference is the appearance of eye-contact.  In the composite, it
appears that they are looking at each other.  The soldier appears to be
confronting the father who is staring at the forbidding soldier.

Of course, the eye contact is what makes it a better photograph.  But not a
true one.  Art, not news.

Tina

At 03:45 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>                 Tina,
>
>                 I disagree with your comment (below).  In the altered,
>composite photo, the soldier is not pointing his gun at the father and
>child.  It rather shows him pointing his gun sideways, to his right, and
>more or less along the plane of the photograph, while the father and child
>are approaching him from his left.  This is also the soldier's orientation
>in of one of the original photos, of course, although in that one, the
>father and child are a bit farther away and do not seem to be headed toward
>him.  It is the other original photo, not the composite one, that has the
>soldier pointing his gun at an angle slightly back from the plane of the
>photograph, and therefore somewhat more in the direction of the more distant
>father and child.
>
>                 Art Peterson
>                 Alexandria, Virginia

Tina Manley, ASMP