Subject: Re: [Leica] Look at me ma! I'm takin pixtures!
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:43:20 +1000

On Wednesday, Apr 2, 2003, at 23:55 Australia/Melbourne, Kyle Cassidy
wrote:

> I can't take all this attentin geebee's getting! I'm takin pixtures!
> When do
> I get to be the darling of the LUG?

I think its just a matter of originality: We are waiting for you to do
something which will surprise us ;-) Those new-age "in your face"
landscapes just blow the group away.

Seriously, your portraits do make me think more about lighting
problems, but also about portraits. Here in "racy" Ballarat we have
just had the annual photographic competition and display. Of course, I
never know when its on, and would never have the organization to be
ready for one, but we try to get along to the gallery to see the
finalists.

I am becoming more critical ( I think/hope) and came away very
disappointed by the portrait section in particular, which looked like a
selection of face on recordings you see in wedding photographers
windows. Not one really set in an environment which told me about the
person (a la HCB), not one which challenged ( a la Mapplethorpe) not
one which set up the gimmick (Geddes/Annie L) and the winners were the
oldest most lined faces. I came away thinking that you cannot be a
portrait photographer UNLESS you take famous people. Well Kyle, your
images remind me that you can

Cheers

Alastair