Subject: Re: [Leica] Organizing media Was: Totally off topic.... Polaroid scanner
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:07:52 -0500

At 11:01 AM 4/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>Tina and everyone...
>
>Wow - I've never even imagined doing this! What do you gain from this approach
>over keeping your negatives on strips? How do you store and organize your
>slides? Do you keep them in boxes? In the plastic sheets with pockets for each
>slide?

Adam -

With the negatives in individual slide mounts, I can file them according to
country and subject.  They are filed in hanging slide files, 20 slides to a
page, in lateral filing cabinets.  I have over 300,000 slides in 11 lateral
filing cabinets.  They are organized first by country and then by subject
within the country.

>I'm truly curious about how people organize their photographs. It's becoming a
>real problem for me and only getting worse.

My numbering system is based on two sets of five numbers.  For example,
negative #61949-06815 would tell me that the country is Honduras (619), the
subject is children (49), the negative is located in hanging file page #68
in the 15th slot on the page.  It takes me about 5 seconds to find
anything.  It's also all filed in the computer using Portfolio so I can
pull up all of the slides by keyword or location.

>Does it take a lot of time to mount negatives in slides? I've never done
>this so
>any answer would be instructional.

It's very easy.  I do it all by hand, cutting the frames with scissors and
mounting them in Gepe mounts, using a small manual slide-mounter.  It takes
about 4 seconds per slide.  You can also edit and through away all of those
frames that are total failures and forget you ever took them!

Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com