Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol replacement or i love xtol... when it works
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:25:30 +0800

Friends

I used Xtol for a few years when it was still possible to get someone to
ship to me from the US. Two things I noticed about Xtol:

1. The smaller portion of the 1 -liter packs more then often became clumpy
or caked up. When dissolved in water, if I was lucky I got a clear solution
when the bigger packet was added. If not, the solution became a bit
yellowish and that will get me very nervous because I will get inconsistent
results ranging from perfect development to NIL development.

2. One solitary experience with the 5-liter packs seem to produce better
results but I hardly need such a large quantity.

In the end, I gave up trying to get it shipped to me. Exit Xtol, enter D-23.

Now I am talking about a dream developer. I mix 2.25g of metol and 30 grams
of sodium sulphite in 300 mls of water (at 40degC) and voila, I have a
beautiful one shot developer which does not overdevelop nor burn out the
highlights. Grain is the way I like it and not much coarser than with Xtol.

Unless one is allergic to metol, this is one great developer which is
largely forgotten and severely underrated.

Dan K.

Message from "Daniel McClenghan" <Thedmc@cox.net> ([Leica] xtol replacement or i love xtol... when it works)