Subject: Re: [Leica] Totally off topic.... Polaroid scanner
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:17:24 -0800

On 3/31/03 Ted Grant  wrote:

>If anyone has any suggestions please send them along, as at the moment this
>situation is driving me to drink and buying another manufacturers scanner!

I have a Nikon 4000 and think it's great. For some reason the latest versions of
VueScan don't work very well for me with this scanner but the Nikon scan
software, esp after the latest release and firmware upgrade, do a very nice job.
I'd like to talk to the Nikon software engineers about some of the choices they
made - the human interface isn't super (but better than VueScan's) - for example
when scanning B&W you have to tell it that you're scanning grayscale every time
and have to tell it you're scanning 16 bits (okay 14 bits) every time.

But for me it does color well, does Tri-X and Neopan 1600 well and APX 100 well
which makes me happy.

So give one a shot. Maybe the local shop will lend you one to try.

But...I'm  a newbee to all of this so your milage may most definately vary.

Adam