Archived posting to the Leica Users Group, 2003/03/31

[Author Prev] [Author Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Author Index] [Topic Index] [Home] [Search]

Subject: [Leica] Death of Roy Moss, former Leica Historical Society leader
From: "tm" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:54:02 -0800

Here is the obituary relating to Roy:

MOSS, Roy E. Major General Roy E. Moss, died Thursday, March 27, 2003 at his
residence. He served in various capacities in the Marines for almost
thirty-five years retiring in 1985. The funeral service will be Wednesday
morning, April 2, 2003 in Summerall Chapel at the Citadel at 11:00 o clock.
Interment to follow at Mount Pleasant Memorial Gardens. Friends may call at
J. HENRY STUHR, INC., MOUNT PLEASANT CHAPEL Tuesday evening, from 6:00 until
8:00 o clock. General Moss was the second son of Roy Philip and Charline
Henry Moss and was born May 3, 1930 in Fort Worth, Texas. He attended
elementary school and two years of high school there before moving to
Virginia where his father, an Army Colonel, had been assigned. He graduated
from high school in 1947 and later attended the College of William and Mary
graduating in 1951. While in college he was a Dean s List student and a
member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity. He volunteered for the Marines shortly
before graduating in order to choose his service and avoid the draft for the
Korean conflict. Following Officer s Candidate Training at Parris Island,
SC, his initial assignment was at the Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry
Point, NC and later at Camp Lejeune, NC before being ordered to Japan and
then Korea where he served as a staff officer in the 1stMarine Division.
Upon his return from Korea, Captain Moss was assigned to the Marine Barracks
at the Naval Gun Factory in Washington, DC later being reassigned to
Headquarters Marine Corps to fill a special billet. In 1957, he volunteered
to return to the Far East where he joined the Third Marine Division on
Okinawa as a rifle company commander. In 1958, he was selected to be the
Aide-de-Camp for the Deputy Commander of the Pacific Fleet Marine Forces in
Hawaii. From 1961-64 he was the Inspector-Instructor of the Marine Corps
Reserve unit in Flint, MI and was promoted to Major in 1961. From 1964-65,
he attended the Marine Corps Command and Staff College at Quantico, VA.
Following graduation, he reported to the 1stMarine Division at Camp
Pendleton, CA and was assigned as the Division Embarkation Officer. For his
efforts in planning and executing the 1stDivision s deployments from the
U.S. to Okinawa and then to the Republic of Vietnam, he was awarded the Navy
Commendation Medal with combat V . While in Vietnam, he was reassigned as
the Executive Officer, 2ndBattalion, 7thMarine Regiment and was awarded the
Bronze Star Medal with combat V and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry for
his service with that unit. Returning to the U.S. in the fall of 1966, he
served for three years as Head of the Amphibious Warfare Instruction Section
at the Marine Corps Amphibious Warfare School in Quantico. In 1967, he was
promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and served on a special study group formed by
the Commandant of the Marine Corps to recommend post-Vietnam structure and
policy. In 1969, he returned to William and Mary for Marine Corps sponsored
postgraduate studies and earned an MBA degree. In 1970, he volunteered for a
second tour in Vietnam where he initially served as the Executive Officer of
the Fifth Marine Regiment and later as Commanding Officer of the
2ndBattalion, 1stMarine Regiment. In 1971, he brought his unit, the last
Marine Corps Infantry battalion to depart Vietnam back to the U.S. For his
second tour of service in Vietnam, he was awarded the Legion of Merit with
Combat V and the Republic of Vietnam Honor Medal First Class. Following
Vietnam, he was assigned to Headquarters Marine Corps and served as Head of
the Plans and Policy Branch, Installations and Logistics Department. He was
promoted to Colonel in 1972. Colonel Moss then attended the State Department
s highest level executive course, the Senior Seminar in Foreign Policy at
the Foreign Service Institute from 1974-78 he served as the Commanding
Officer of the Naval ROTC Unit and Professor of Naval Science. While at the
Citadel in February 1978, he was selected for promotion to Brigadier
General. His general officer assignments included Assistant Depot Commander,
Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC; Assistant Division Commander
1stMarine Division, Camp Pendleton, CA and Commanding General 2ndForce
Service Support Group, Camp LeJeune, NC. In 1982, he was promoted to Major
General and assigned as Commanding General 4thMarine Division FMF USMCR, New
Orleans, LA. His final assignment was as the Deputy Chief of Staff for
Plans, Policy and Joint Exercises for USCINCLANT/CINCLANTFLT in Norfolk, VA,
and he was awarded the Defense Superior Service Medal for his service there.
He retired on September 1, 1985. Following his retirement from active duty,
General Moss worked as a consultant for a west coast defense contractor. In
1990, he was appointed by Governor Carroll Campbell to the South Carolina
Procurement Review Panel where he served for four years. Since 1990, he was
an active professional saxophonist in the Charleston area playing in various
bands including his own jazz trio, PHENOMENA. He was also an accomplished
photographer and held leadership positions in the Leica Historical Society
of America for many years. He now joins his wife of 51 years, Betty Ann
Moss, who preceded him in death on February 5, 2003. He is survived by two
sons, Steven Moss of Charlotte, NC and Cmdr. Eric Moss, USN of Washington,
DC and a daughter, Susan Mitchum of Mt. Pleasant, SC plus three
grandchildren, Rachel and Russell Mitchum and Ryan Henry Moss.

- --
To unsubscribe, see

Replies: Reply from "Don R." <> (Re: [Leica] Death of Roy Moss, former Leica Historical Society leader)