Subject: Re: [Leica] was Leica DSLR, now L or R glass?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:36:27 -0800

At 8:22 AM -0700 3/19/03, John Collier wrote:
>The 21/4 SA, the 21/3.4 and the early 21/2.8 (non-Asph) will focus
>quite close. They decouple from the rangefinder to do so. It is also
>possible to fit a high quality close up lens to the newer lenses to
>get closer as well. You would have to test to find where the lens
>was actually focused but it would not be too hard to figure out.
>
>John Collier
>
>On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:44 AM, Red Dawn wrote:
>
>>My only peeve with wide angle lenses on the Leica M is that I can focus
>>them no closer than 0.7m, which kind of defeats the purpose of shooting
>>wide and fast - focusing closer than 0.7m with a 21mm can really produce
>>some dramatic photos of pple!

The better close up lenses are achromats, and rather thick. They
would vignette on wide angle lenses. Also, the improvements in close
focussing lessen the shorter the focal length. And on top of that,
close up lenses work best optically with narrow angles of view.

Soooo.........

Accept that wide angle lenses on M's don't focus that close; use
depth of field or uncoupled closer focussing lenses. The 12mm Cosina
lens lets you set a distance of 0.3m, and depth of field will get you
down to about 0.12m. At that distance with that angle of view you can
make anyone look ugly, especially pple! :-)

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com