Subject: Re: [Leica] was Leica DSLR, now L or R glass?
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:32:03 -0600

I have no complaints with my R lenses or cameras.  I have the 28-70 elmar
zoom, 35/2.8 elmarit, 90/2.8 elmarit (Fantastic lens), 200/4.5 (old
Visoflex lens with R adapter), and 560/6.8 Telyt.  My cameras are R4SP and
Leicaflex SL.  The R4SP is a great little camera and works very reliably.
Most not in the know people say it is just a Minolta with some minor
changes, but it is not a Minolta in construction and operation.  It has a
Minolta chassis as a start but outside of that it is Leica all the way.
The R4SP, R5 and R7 are the best of the early electronic R's.  I've had my
R4SP for 10 years and it has held up under heavy use with no glitches at
all.  If you don't need/want the automation then the SL, SL2 or the newer
R6 are great manual cameras, although I prefer the SL over the R6.

Gene

                      Mark Rabiner
                      <mark@rabinergroup.com>             To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] was Leica DSLR, now L or R glass?
                      -alto.ca.us

                      03/19/2003 03:45 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

"Nathan Wajsman (private)" wrote:

> I do not have much experience with the wide angle Leica R lenses, but I
> do have an older 19mm Elmarit R, which is an excellent performer, and
> certainly much superior to the 17mm Tokina lens I once had when I was
> shooting Pentax SLR in my pre-Leica days.
>
> But I also have two newer Leica R lenses which are fantastic: the
> 4/35-70mm which is the simply the best zoom I have ever owned, and the
> 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, which I consider to be my best Leica lens, R or
> M, and by itself enough reason to buy a Leica SLR.
>
> My older lenses in the longish range, a 60mm Macro Elmarit and a
> 2.8/180mm, are also both excellent, as was a 6.8/400mm I once owned. My
> main use of SLRs is with long lenses and macro, and here my R lenses are
> *much* better than the Pentax equipment I had before.
>
> Nathan

We're on the same wavelength on this one Nathan!! I'm getting into R and
my first lens will be the 60 the second the 180!
Macro and longer tele otherwise M!
Question is what R body/'s

But you say your Leica lenses are better than your Pentax but you start
out by saying you put a Tokina lens on your Pentax!
Was that the exception or more of the rule?
Me if i had a Pentax, and a Pentax ME I'd love to play with: the Olympus
OM 1 dwarfs it. I'D HAVE PENTAX GLASS ON IT! GLASS THAT SAID "PENTAX" ON
THE FRONT! SAME TYPEFACE EVEN!

Not a big lover of third party glass.
Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA