Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica DSLR
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:30:25 -0500

> At 08:20 PM 3/17/2003 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:
> > > Regardless whether it is true or not, is it more technically
> > > difficult
> > > (or impossible?) to do one based on the Ms?
> >
> >Is this a troll, or did you like just join the group?
>
> Heh? I joined may be 2 months ago. Now a proud owner of an M7.

Congratulations, Richard!  Now, why would you want to degrade your beautiful
images by going digital? ;-)

> I take it
> that this has been discussed before? Well, I am sort of stupid and can't
> see why technically a D-RF cannot be done.

It can be done, there is no doubt...but at what expense, and to what
practicality?  The M is a very limited market as it is, and the market for a
digital M will be even more limited.  Most companies are not making any
money off their DSLRs, so it really would be a losing proposition, IMO,
business wise.

Technically, though do-able, not practical.  You would be limited to your
selection of lenses, as wide angle lenses (wider than 35 if not even 35)
would cause vignetting due to sensor well depth.  Second is there is no
interface between the shutter, shutter speed and aperture to the digital
back.  It still could be done without these, but none the less, it makes the
problem harder.  The camera would be huge, compared to what it is now, as
you need not only the sensor, but now big batteries as well as storage, and
the electronics to interface to the sensor, and process the data.  Also,
getting the sensor on the focus plane may not even be doable...without some
severe machine work, that may require the shutter mechanism to be moved.

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (RE: [Leica] Leica DSLR)