Subject: Re: [Leica] What do you think of ELMAR 90/4.0?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:08:00 -0500

At 04:01 PM 3/16/03 +0800, kelvin wrote:
>hi all
>
>I'm toying with the idea of picking up an Elmar 9cm f4
>for my LTM kit.
>
>What do folks think about it? Esp. the different variations...
>and does the later coated version make a diff?
>
>What's a reasonable price to pay for it?

This lens came in several versions over its 25-year production life.  For
LTM, the late ones are the best compromise of quality and price;  for an M,
I'd opt for a collapsible one.  The last version, with 3 elements, is the
preferred model but it has become a collector's target, so the prices have
climbed a bit.

The 4/9cm or 90mm Elmar is a rather pleasant lens, light, compact, and
capable of the solid results which the basic Tessar design can produce when
properly designed and constructed.

Price?  I'd suggest that a survey of completed eBay auctions would be the
appropriate tool for determining this, but I'd be surprised if it ran more
than $150 for a solid, late-model LTM 4/9cm with E39 front.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!