Subject: Re: [Leica] glitch in 35 f1.4? (DIY Leica Repair)
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:32:54 -0800 (PST)

I was thinking about that type of situation some time
ago.
IE: what's the most complex repair I could do on a
camera in those conditions. I concluded that with the
basic tools I would have to hold the smaller and more
numerous parts in my mouth. The tounge is smart enough
to be able to differentiate between washers, nuts and
different size screws. The larger parts like knobs and
plates would have to fit in my pocket. I would also
need some sort of towel to catch any parts that fell.
Thus I would be able to fully strip the thing down but
I'm not sure what kind of repair I would perform once
it was broken down to sleeve, top and chassis. I would
also need a strainer in case a shell exploded overhead
and I swallowed the parts.

Seriously though, Most war photographers are users
rather than techies. I think they were probably
talking about removing the lens and takup spool and
doing a basic field cleaning. I just don't see someone
replacing shutter curtains or even cleaning aperture
blades under those conditions.I could be wrong of
course, someone may have done it once. I once fully
tore down an SL and pulled out the mirror box in a
Jersey hotel!
Javier