Subject: RE: [Leica] Latest shot from a digital with a Leica lens
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:47:29 -0500

> Just think it through, Javier, and figure out just how to accomplish
> the functions of a digi-back coupled to a M body and lens.

Hi Jerry,

Oh, I could make a digital back for the M, it's not rocket science...even
though there is no shutter coupling or anything.  Problem is, it's not
practical nor would it be fully usable as the M is with film.  Also, as you
pointed out, at this point in time, given the battery needs, and storage
media needs, it would be quite a large proposition compared to the little M.
Note how big the digi35mmSLResque beasts are!

The M camera works so well with film anyway.  What you would get is the
inability to use wide angle lenses.  Slower ISO speeds.  MUCH larger
package.  Also, reduced resolution...as film has a higher resolution than
any current digital sensor (and probably will for any digital sensor that
provides the same fidelity that film does).  Tied to batteries, batteries,
and more batteries...  Fa-get-about-it!

Regards,

Austin