Subject: Re: [Leica] Asph or Aspherical?
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:48:45 -0500

The ASPH is so good that I wouldn't pay another $1500 for the letters
"erical" to be added to the beauty ring.  Almost identical optics, the
sole big difference being one pressed vs. one ground element (or some
such picayune issue).

I just had a bit of T400CN done on a Frontier machine (all scanning and
direct digital output to photo paper) of some shots I did last week
with the ASPH and my Hexar.  The (grainless) prints looked impossibly
sharp; I took a 15x loupe to them and then scanned them at 50x -
un-frigging-believable.  I had been using the ASPH with really
contrasty, grainy stuff like Neopan 1600, so I never fully grasped just
how incredible a lens it is.

On the "back focus" issue, I did shoot a bunch of frames with a skyline
focused at infinity (real life: 1 mile), and believe you me, the window
frames and even some of the wider stone seams (these are truly
miniscule at that distance) were in focus at f/1.4, so whatever my
latest Hexar is set to, it's correct.

A lot of people piss on T400CN, but shot at 400 (um, it will shoulder
at 200), it has great tonal range and no grain to speak of.  It's like
all the great things about TMY120 with none of the archival life.  But
really a big step up from any 400-speed conventional film.

Dante