Subject: RE: [Leica] CL
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:47:59 -0500

The Leica CL is...in my opinion...a piece of junk.  Consider that...

- -- The body is very small, so if you have even moderately sized hands,
your fingers are always on the rangefinder windows or getting into the
picture area by straying in front of the lens.

- --The front mounted and highly exposed shutter speeds dial is always
getting banged up, leading to an expensive.

- -- The meter cell was pasted to the mobile stalk with too brittle an
adhesive and they tend to fall off and jam the shutter, resulting in
expensive repairs.

- -- I am sure many people on this list can explain the battery conversion
process to you, buy I don't think it's worth the trouble.

- -- I don't like the vertical hang from the lugs on one side.

- -- They may be easily replaced, but the rubber lens shades supplied with
the CL's matched lenses are...how you say?...pathetic.  Useless, too,
and likely to half collapse without your knowledge, causing you to lose
half your image.

Yet the CL has many fans who use it and adore it, so who am I to judge?
The lenses produced for the CL are a wholly different matter.  I miss my
40mm Summicron more than any lens I have been silly enough to let go.
The 90 Elmar-C is a fine lens and an inexpensive alternative to other
lenses of this focal length.

	Buzz Hausner