Subject: [Leica] Re: Polski Fiat
From: "Nathan Wajsman (private)" <nathanw@bluewin.ch>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 06:52:51 +0100

Yes, I see them quite often when I visit Poland (most recently in
December). Poland is still quite a low-income country compared to
Western Europe, and so for many people an old Polski Fiat or Polonez (a
true Polish design from the early 70s, looks a bit like a VW Passat of
that era but feels like a big truck behind the wheel) is the only car
they can afford. I do not know if you can really get one for 1000 zloty,
  perhaps you can, but "some assembly" will probably be required :-)

Nathan

Mike Durling wrote:
> There are still lots of those Polish Fiats running around Poland today.
>  A friend there tells me that you can pick one up for 1,000 zlotys or $250.
>
> Mike D
>
> Nathan Wajsman (private) wrote:
>
>> Lada is Russian. In the 1970s, Fiat had several joint ventures and
>> licensing agreements in Eastern Europe, and Lada was one of the
>> results. They did build Fiat-branded cars in Poland (or rather, the
>> Polish company FSO did), called Polski Fiat, beginning in the early
>> 70s as far as I recall. Those were more or less copies of the
>> corresponding Italian designs, obviously with somewhat rougher
>> workmanship.
>>
>> Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman