Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica ?, M5, M6TTL, or M7
From: Alan Walsh <alanwalsh@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:32:30 +1100

Bill/all,

Don't dismiss the M5 to quickly as it is a good, low-cost choice. I
picked up a good, three-lug user for around AU$1000 (about US$600) and
it has served me well for a number of years. They are solid,
dependable, have an accurate meter and flare-free viewfinder. One minor
downside is that the Vulcanite body covering is difficult to repair.
Replacement body shellswith the new covering are available, but more
expensive than a complete camera. On the positive side, the Vulcanite
is nearly indestructible. Mine survived a waist-high drop onto
cobblestones, with a minor dent in the end of the body and no cracking
of the Vulcanite.

I also use an M2 and have no difficulty moving from one to the other. I
have heard that some repairers will not work on the M5 because of its
mechanical complexity.

Alan Walsh