Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica ?, M5, (now hand crank)
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:26:07 +0100

I'm not sure of all the details, but word has it that Fiat sold a factory,
tooling ... the works to the Soviet Union and set up their factory. The
parts where interchangeable (you could use Fiat parts in a Lada, but you're
wisdom might be questioned if you used Lada parts in a Fiat).

Nice little cars: the automobile equivalent to the mechanical Leica. Like a
Chevy Nova from 1966. There was enough room around the engine so you could
almost climb in and work. There wasn't much that could really go wrong.
(There wasn't much ... period).

I bought it brand new and it ran for 11 years. The depreciation in that 11
years was less than what you loose when you pick up a new Volvo and drive
it out of the lot. Gave it away to a friend (Sofia, who figures in some of
my PAWS).

I'll have to dig up some shots of it :)

Daniel