Subject: RE: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:31:03 -0800

At 10:02 AM -0700 3/13/03, Kit McChesney | acmefoto wrote:
>George--
>
>What difference does age make? Or if the person was blind from birth? Since
>images are themselves "created" in the mind anyway,

Unless they are created by photons hitting a sensitive surface.

When I photograph, I do not create the picture in my mind; that is
just the first step. I might visualize it first based on my _visual_
experiences and adjust my visualized concept by what my eyes tell me
is really in front of the camera; then I recompose, and/or accept
some of the elements that don't fit my concept, possibly
incorporating the new found elements in a refined concept which I can
then actually fix by using a camera to photograph. Creating a
photograph requires all those steps.

Creation of a photograph combines the visualization of an _image_
which is then produced by doing the technical things which cause that
view in front of the camera to be captured on film or whatever.

I truly believe that a monkey has a better chance of taking a
meaningful photograph than a person who has been blind from birth.

>  is the ability to
>visualize predicated on having had conventional sight, that is, using one's
>eyes to see, or is it an ability that is innate?

Probably not, but what is visualized under those condition will have
little or nothing to do with what that person can produce in a
photograph.

>Do folks who can't see live
>in what we perceive as "darkness"?

Possibly, or maybe it's like what we 'see' when we squeeze our eyes
very tightly or push on our eyeballs. Who knows what the part of the
brain that processes sight for us is doing when it doesn't get
stimuli from the retina? Presuming something would be truly
presumptious; the only thing we can be fairly sure about is that it
is not processing what we associate with vision.

>Kit ;-)

All the above comments apply only to people who have been totally
blind from birth in my opinion; the many people who lost their sight
during their life or are only partially blind can, (if they have some
talent) with the help of sighted people produce photographs that
spring from their visualization.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design