Subject: Re: [Leica] curious experience with TCN
From: "GeeBee" <graham@geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:43:58 -0000

From: "Adam Bridge" <abridge@mac.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: 13 March 2003 17:50
Subject: [Leica] curious experience with TCN

> I know many folks shoot TCN at 200 instead of 400. Well the other day I
was
up
> setting the exposure so I thought...well you get the idea.
>
> The Velvia didn't stand a chance at being shot at 400. Total waste. But
the TCN
> shot at 50 turned out to be pretty useful. So now I'm wondering if I'm
better
> off shooting it at like 160. There were some blown highlights in some of
the
> images but my Nikon coolscan 4000 seems to really do well in that
environment,
> much better with these dense negatives.
>
> Here's a portrait from that roll of my son, taken indoors (obviously)
summicron
> 50mm, wide open, slow shutter speed
>
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2003Images/tom.jpg>
>
> I'm struggling with how to get the right gamma to share B&W across
platforms.
> This looks fine on my Mac but a bit light otherwise....
>
> Adam

Hi Adam,
Looks fine on my monotor too. The right shoulder is the darkest part  and I
can just make out the stitching. Everything else looks fine apart from a
slight softness of focus on the nearest parts of the face. Everthing else is
sharp so maybe nose, chin, and forehead just outside dof.

- --Graham