Subject: RE: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:27:51 -0700

I can't believe you guys would actually deign to create this analogy, and
print it on a piece of virtual paper, for all human beings, regardless of
ability, to read, and not only that, but to be subjected to:

"Otherwise there is no meaning and we might as well just hang cameras on
birds and cows and let them take photographs randomly and give each image
equal value to anything posted here."

Good lord. Do you really think that the creative effort of a human being who
conceives and produces an image, regardless of his or her ability to
eventually perceive it, relative to someone whose vision is 20/20, is equal
to the putative creative effort of a bird or a cow?

As for assigning things equal value to this or that posted here, I invite
you to take a look at some of the work created by some of these blind
photographers, and determine if indeed a cow or a bird could have created
such an image.

Point being, no, a blind person cannot see the result of the image he
creates in the same way that you see it, but at the same time, if you base
the value of an image on the ability of the artist to see it as you see it,
or to see the "result" as well as you see it, then I think you are pretty
darn arrogant.

I'm surprised at how many people who profess to be able to "see" are
actually quite blind to some of the most fundamental issues about what
constitutes creativity and creative work. Astounding!

Kit