Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus/now Disability
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:54:14 -0500

The reason I said this is that while I and most directors don't work
this way, it is perfectly possible if you are working with people you
COMPLETELY trust to let them look after certain aspects of the movie.
The DP, the Production Designer, the editor -- if they know your
methods and you have great communication, then they are all capable of
turning in amazing results. The director needs to look after narrative
and tone (much of this can be judged from sound of voices on set) and
keep the ship headed in the right direction. In this respect the
Director becomes a kind of chief executive. The Hollywood studio system
worked in a fashion rather like this, with no time to do anything other
than rigorously compartmentalize roles. For example, the director was
usually on his next time while the film was being cut.

JB