Subject: [Leica] More scanner info (Minolta Dimage Dual Scan III)
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:51:20 -0800

A few more impressions after yet another few days with this scanner,
along with some tips.

I tried the VueScan software, but decided against it (as mentioned in a
previous email).  However, one of the things it has which the Minolta
bundled software doesn't have (but VueScan does) is a clipping preview.
  In other words, it colour codes those pixels which are clipped at
either end of the spectrum.

I've discovered that you can twiddle around with the Curves tool in the
"DS Utility" program to accomplish much the same thing (actually, it's
even more useful). To see where the highlights are, go to "Image
Correction" and pull up the "Curves" tool (first one). Then adjust the
shadow point until it is a few units within the highlight (i.e., you
have an almost vertical line at the highlight end of the curves
display). Pixels that remain non-black show you where the highlights
are.  By sliding the shadow point back-and-forth, you can get an
impression of where the information in the highlights is.  You can also
move the "levels" triangles, or enter numerical values (I usually just
plug "253" into the "shadow" input box).

To do the same for shadows, move the highlight point towards the shadow
end of the scale, thus creating a vertical line on the shadow side.

Sometimes it is difficult to get scans that cover both highlight and
shadow detail from a negative.  A two-pass scan method helps, although
I seem to remember reading somewhere that you're not actually extending
the dynamic range... but the results look better in any case.  In
particular, the mid-tones seems to be smoother and exhibit less noise.
In the past two days, I've found a much better way of recombining the
images rather than using the "Curves" tool in PS.

Scanning one image overexposed (overly light, calling it Hi) and one
image underexposed (overly dark, calling it Lo), open both in Photoshop
and select the Hi image as the one you're working on. Do "Image->Apply
Image". Select "Lo" as the source, "Darken" as the blending mode and
play with the opacity until it looks about right (between 60% and 80%
seems right most of the time for the images I use). Use the Eyedropper
tool in combination with the Info palette to check levels and dynamic
range.  Unfortunately, this only works with 8-bit images, but it's
still pretty useful.

BTW -- speaking of VueScan: the evaluation copy, that is the version of
the software that you get before you pay the $40 registration fee,
prints big "$" signs over your image when it saves the JPEG or TIFF
files to disk.  Which makes evaluating the scanned images absolutely
impossible, because you cannot see much of the underlying image.  Sort
of defeats the whole purpose of shareware, me thinks...

And one final tip: If you use Photoshop, get the book "Real World
Photoshop 7" (exists in a version 6.0 too).  It's worth every single
cent of the $49.95 cover price, especially when you buy it for $34.95
at Amazon... ;)

M.