Subject: RE: [Leica] Autofocus Leica R
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:37:24 -0700

Speaking of photographers with poor eyesight, or even more amazing,
photographers who are legally or functionally blind, Aperture just published
last year a gorgeous book on the subject of blind photographers, titled
appropriately, Shooting Blind. It is a moving volume, and poses some
interesting questions about how we see, and what we see. There are many
blind photographers ... Evgen Bavcar, Flo Fox, Gerardo Nigenda, among
others. Bavcar has some interesting things to say about the differences
between the visual, and the visible.

"My task is the reunion of the visible and the invisible worlds; photography
allows me to pervert the established method of perception amongst those who
see and those who don't." ... and ...  "Each photo I create must be
perfectly ordered in my head before I shoot. I hold the camera to my mouth
in order to photograph those I speak to. Autofocus helps me, but I can
manage on my own: it is simple, my hands measure the distance and the rest
is achieved by the desire for images that inhabits me."

I suspect that even with their visual difference ("seeing" differently from
most of the rest of the world) that not all blind or visually impaired
photographers use autofocus ... focus is not necessarily the requisite
hallmark of a photographic image. Don't we use the unfocused as a tool of
expression? What about bokeh? (Thanks, Mark R!)

Kit