Subject: RE: [Leica] focusing question deux
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:00:58 -0700

Lea--

The rangefinder will show a double image even when there's no lens on the
camera. It will even "focus" when the lens is capped. I just took my M7 and
50 f/1.4 out and pointed towards the window with the cap on, and I can still
focus the camera. The two rectangles align themselves just fine. When I
remove the cap, I'm still in focus.

The rangefinder is a mechanical device. When you have no lens on the camera,
the double image of the rectangle shows up in a default position. When you
place a lens on the camera, the lens and camera are linked mechanically, so
that when you turn the focusing ring on the lens, the rangefinder shows you
what will be in focus at the distance determined on the lens itself. The
lens isn't actually "seeing" the subject in the same way that an SLR lens
would "see" it, that is, to transmit the image via the mirror and through a
prism to the viewfinder. It is a mechanical device that measures distance
between the film plane and the subject accurately, and provides the
rectangular patches for your convenience, so that you can "see" what's in
focus. It's a symbol for what is happening between lens and rangefinder.

The light that illuminates the rangefinder patch and bright-line frames
comes from the little window that looks as if it has a set of vertically
aligned venetian blinds on it ... that provides the light for the viewfinder
window.

You can also focus the lens without ever looking through it, by using only
the lens markings themselves. That's how professional cinematographers do it
... the focus-puller doesn't look through the viewfinder, she sits next to
the camera and focuses by judging distance and adjusting the lens based on
the distance markings on the lens. The same principle applies to the
rangefinder.

Kit