Subject: [Leica] focusing follow-up
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:01:15 -0600

To all of you who sent suggestions on becoming a better focuser, I thank
you. I put several of your suggestions to work yesterday...I had cause to be
out running errands and I hung my camera around my neck so I'd have it at
the ready.

The particularly helpful suggestions were these:
Always reset the lens to infinity so I know where I'm starting from each
time I pick up the camera.
    WOW! Seems so very logical...and it is...in practice it makes a world of
difference in my speed.

Judge the subject distance, look at the lens barrel while raising the camera
to my eye and pre-focus there.
    I'm not great (yet) at judging distances but this little tip saved me
LOADS of time focusing.

Move your body in and out to make small focusing adjustments.
    Tina, thanks for this sage bit of wisdom.

All in all, I think familiarity is the key...but I find I often fall back on
my auto-focus Canon cameras because I'm afraid of missing a shot or becoming
frustrated with the Leica. Whoever said (maybe it was everyone who
responded!) 'practice, practice, practice' seemed to have hit the nail on
the head.

Thanks to everyone.
Lea

Lea Murphy