Subject: Re: [Leica] dirty French Tripods
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:42:31 -0800

Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:

> Now that angry white men have enjoined themselves to the anti-war
> movement my world is aright. I can now sleep the sleep of babes at
> night, and at afternoon nap time.
> http://www.whitecivilrights.com/
> Slobodan Dimitrov
> --

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be
guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I
have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You weep
for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have
the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while
tragic, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and
incomprehensible to you, saves lives. I know deep down in places you
dont talk about at parties, you don't want me on that wall, you need me
on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words
as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a
punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself
to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I
provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you
said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a
weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you
think you are entitled to!

That was Jack up at the witness stand in "a few good men", a great
moment in film. Not my argument but in some ways he does have a point.

Mark grotesque and incomprehensible Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com
Email: mark@rabinergroup.com
Fax: 503-221-0308