Subject: Re: [Leica] Focomat V35 Variocontrast module
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:44:39 +1100

On Monday, Mar 10, 2003, at 21:09 Australia/Melbourne, Beddoe, Neil
wrote:

> I've got a variocontrast head on my V35 and I just wanted to check if
> it was
> "normal".  When I push up the shaft to move the filters out of the
> light
> path, one of the filters stays about half way down. which means that
> the
> light retains a colour cast.  Is it supposed to do this?  I need to
> know
> this as I'm calibrating an Analyser Pro and it's giving me some funny
> settings.

Well I just checked --- I wish I did not NEED to, but I'll be using it
again (see below). My unit is exactly the same. When you slide the
shaft up, it leaves half the filter "drawer" covered: sounds like it's
normal.

BUT oh me miserum: Someone come up with a tale of woe, so I can feel
there is someone worse off than I. My Heiland Splitgrade system: yes,
the one I've been praising here in the last week has failed to power
up. Nothing-----------dead. Fuse I thought, but when I examined the
fuse it looked pristine: there was a spare ----------- still NOTHING. I
dreaded the idea that service was only an international flight away,
and here we go. I tested Leica's service to the full when I first got
my r8, looks like another Wetzlar company has the pleasure of my woes.

I'm off to cry on Mr Heiland's shoulder and have him tell me:

1. this is very unusual
2. We have not had this problem before
3. Please send us the unit and we will check it over

And when it arrives, it will work and when it get home it will not and
2 years later I will have a working Splitgrade system :-(

Cheers