Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica focusing...HELP!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 20:21:04 -0800

lea wrote:

> OH MY GAWD I suck focusing with my M6. Over 2 years with it and I'm still so
> blasted slow. I am young (under 40) with good eyes (even though I wear
> contacts and glasses) and I take for flippin' ever to focus...with or
> without the viewfinder magnifier.
>
> I just can't believe I'm the only one with this problem...or the only one
> who has encountered it. What have others done to get faster? I'm open to all
> suggestions (short of selling the camera!).
>
> Suggestions gladly read.
> Lea

In my opinion the thing that makes the Leica rangefinder cameras seem so
hard to focus is that we've never had a concentrated time with it. It
tends to always be much easier to pick up friendly and familiar SLR than
the Leica M sitting right next to it in your camera closet.

What would be your perspective if all you shot for your first ten years
was a Leica M and then you got your first SLR system? Much less of a
reliance on the SLR system because you know how to work intensely with
rangefinder focusing - It's harder to focus in some ways but other ways
easier. Out with a wide angle on not a dark day and Neopan 1600 and I've
got quite a field scoped out in front of me i don't need to focus let
along look though the camera. You can do this with an SLR too but every
time the camera goes off the automatic diaphragm makes it visible from
the front and it could easily more noisier. You attract lots more attention.

So I suggest you put your other cameras in the attack for a few months
and after that period of time then decide as to what the Leica M system
can and can't do. And how you work with it. Its a brains camera. SLR's
are feelings cameras.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com