Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica focusing...HELP!
From: "Wesson, Leo W" <LWWesson@pier1.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:31:25 -0600

Lea,

I found focusing to be slow for me with the M. I found this info on the Cameraquest site and it helped me a lot.

Focus Indicator: Some electronic manual focus SLRs in the 1980's made a big deal out of having a "focus indicator" in the viewfinder to tell you which way to turn the lens to get the correct focus.  Guess what?  The M3 (and all later RF M's) have had a focus indicator since 1954!  The right or left image displacement inside the M rangefinder patch tells the photog which way to turn the lens to focus.   Let me explain.  Focus your lens -- a vertical subject will be easier for this illustration.   Notice how image is lined up inside as well as outside the rangefinder patch.   Now turn the lens out of focus and look again.   Compare the image line outside the rangefinder patch with the image inside the rangefinder patch.   To focus the lens,  turn the lens barrel  in the direction necessary to line up the image line inside the rangefinder patch with its image outside the patch.
http://www.cameraquest.com/mguide.htm

Leo