Subject: [Leica] Leica MP Warranty
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:55:05 -0700

Dear LUG'ers--

For those who are interested in the Leica MP warranty, I'd like to post a
few notes to clear up some confusion that seems to have arisen from sources
on the 'net that are probably well-meaning, but inaccurate.

Outside the U.S.:

The Leica MP carries a standard three year international manufacturer's
warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. This warranty extends
to five years of the same type of coverage once you register the camera
(with a special card provided) with the Leica agency in the country where
you bought the camera, provided it was purchased from an authorized dealer.
Cameras bought outside the authorized dealer network will not enjoy the
extra two years of warranty coverage. Whether other countries like the U.K.
have their own equivalent of the passport, I can't answer; those questions
will have to be fielded by agencies in those locales.

Inside the U.S.:

In the U.S., if you buy an MP from an authorized Leica USA dealer, you will
also enjoy the same warranty protection; three years standard manufacturer's
warranty (international), extended to five years of same once you register
the camera with Leica USA, and as long as purchased from an authorized
dealership. On top of the standard warranty Leica USA also covers the camera
on the USA Passport Protection Plan, which adds three years of extra
protection to the camera's standard warranty.

To summarize: the warranty is three years if you buy the camera and decide
not to, or forget, to register it; five years if you buy from an authorized
dealer and register the camera as instructed; and if you are in the U.S. and
buy a Leica USA imported camera from an authorized dealer you will have five
years of standard warranty plus the first three of those five covered under
USA Passport Protection Plan as well.

Thanks for lending me your viewfinder ears.

Kit