Subject: Re: [Leica] BD's tilting at windmills WAS US Consumer Behavior
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:18:19 -0500

True up to a point but Chamberlain was quite happy to duck out of
treaties if it suited him. Hitler's methods of pre-emptive strikes
(sound familiar?) against nations which were suppposedly threatening
him, or mistreating German minorities, provided lots of wiggle room (as
they were intended to). Unfortunately with Munich in tatters, wiggle
room was the one thing Chamberlain didn't have and Hitler should have
realized it. As it was, by some accounts at least, Hitler was deeply
surprised by Chamberlain's sudden discovery of moral fiber.

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 03:50 PM, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

> Johnny
>
> Of course, before the war so many believed in Neville
> Chamberlain's doctrine of  "Peace in our time".  No one
> stood up to Hitler until they were attacked. Poland resisted
> and France and GB reluctantly entered the war only because
> they were linked by treaty to Poland. No other reason!
>
> Jerry
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com