Subject: [Leica] Interesting in relation to photo ops in Malls etc.
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:09:00 -0600

Man Arrested for Wearing Peace T-Shirt
By DAMITA CHAMBERS, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. -  A man was charged with trespassing in a mall after he
refused to take off a T-shirt that said "Peace on Earth" and "Give
peace a chance."

Mall security approached Stephen Downs, 61, and his 31-year-old son,
Roger, on Monday night after they were spotted wearing the T-shirts at
Crossgates Mall in a suburb of Albany, the men said.

The two said they were asked to remove the shirts made at a store
there, or leave the mall. They refused.

The guards returned with a police officer who repeated the ultimatum.
The son took his T-shirt off, but the father refused.

"'I said, `All right then, arrest me if you have to,'" Downs said. "So
that's what they did. They put the handcuffs on and took me away."

Downs pleaded innocent to the charges Monday night. The New York Civil
Liberties Union said it would help with his case if asked.

Police Chief James Murley said his officers were just responding to a
complaint by mall security.

"We don't care what they have on their shirts, but they were asked to
leave the property, and it's private property," Murley said.

A mall spokeswoman did not return calls Tuesday seeking comment.

Monday's arrest came less than three months after about 20 peace
activists wearing similar T-shirts were told to leave by mall security
and police. There were no arrests.

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] Interesting in relation to photo ops in Malls etc.)
Reply from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Interesting in relation to photo ops in Malls etc.)