Subject: Re: [Leica] Now that Leica glo' no mo ---
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 00:37:54 -0500

On the whole haptics topic, I tend to think that it is fairly easy to
switch between two types of cameras:

(a)	Autoexposure cameras (Hexar RF, Fuji 670/690 with the AE lens,
Nikon F3HP)

and

(b)	Manual, meterless cameras (Fuji 690 with other lenses, Leica M3,
Rolleiflex)

...because with the former, you compose, focus and shoot without
worrying too much about exposure, and with the latter, it is easy to
incident-meter once for a given subject and to shoot away without
resetting the exposure.

It is not that easy to go from those to

(c)	Match-needle (diode) manual cameras

...where you have arrows or needles telling you (in your face) that you
have to move various rings and dials.

Other than that, I tend to think that the feel of a piece of equipment
is irrelevant.  If you are concentrated on the subject, it will be as
if the equipment does not exist (if not instantly, after a very short
time).  I think Johnny's point is well taken about learning curves.

Regards